Somewhat gzipped

While playing around with 427kb UI scripts, I figured it was time to institute some form of compression on the server, so the latest ajax features didn't require a simple webpage to blossom into a 1/2 megabyte download.

It was pretty simple to do on windows and I based most of the rules on this post. My 600kb test page went immediately below 200kb by simply compressing the javascript and css files. RSS files are also being compressed and I've noticed the site has seemed a bit more perky since I enabled it. Bandwidth isn't a problem (my current host allows for 4Tb of data monthly), but it will be nice if the site can be a little bit faster thanks to compressed downloads.

Advertisements